Booktalk: White Hot Kiss by Jennifer L Armentrout

Booktalk: White Hot Kiss by Jennifer L Armentrout (The Dark Elements #1)


Title: White Hot Kiss
Author: Jennifer L Armentrout
Publishers: Harlequin Teen
Page Count: 392



Goodreads Synopsis:

One kiss could be the last 

Seventeen-year-old Layla just wants to be normal. But with a kiss that kills anything with a soul, she's anything but normal. Half demon, half gargoyle, Layla has abilities no one else possesses. 

Raised among the Wardens—a race of gargoyles tasked with hunting demons and keeping humanity safe—Layla tries to fit in, but that means hiding her own dark side from those she loves the most. Especially Zayne, the swoon-worthy, incredibly gorgeous and completely off-limits Warden she's crushed on since forever. 

Then she meets Roth—a tattooed, sinfully hot demon who claims to know all her secrets. Layla knows she should stay away, but she's not sure she wants to—especially when that whole no-kissing thing isn't an issue, considering Roth has no soul. 

But when Layla discovers she's the reason for the violent demon uprising, trusting Roth could not only ruin her chances with Zayne…it could brand her a traitor to her family. Worse yet, it could become a one-way ticket to the end of the world



I really enjoyed this book after picking it up from Lux withdrawal. It is different to the LUX series but this book was still really good. The characters were lovable and the story was believable despite this book being a fantasy / paranormal book. I gave this book 5/5 stars because it was constantly interesting and funny. I didn't realise how much I loved the characters and this book in general until it ended and I was left without the second book and a sort of cliffhanger, sort of impossible ending.

Warning this review is FULL of spoilers.

The book starts off with us meeting Layla and her friends but this wasn't just any starting to a book. The first line is, and I quote, 'There was a demon in McDonalds'...

We meet Roth really soon into the book which I thought was great but I really liked him from the start because he was calm and basically saved Layla's life because that Seeker would've killed her if he didn't help. I instantly liked Roth and even though he was a bit vain and full of himself he was still a really awesome character.

The fact that he started going to the same school as her was really awesome because I thought that the relationship would be amazing between these two characters like it was with Katy and Daemon in the LUX series. I liked how the relationship was not too fast in this book but I do think that Layla did trust him fast.

I didn't think that Zayne and Layla would be in a relationship like I thought Roth and Layla would but I really liked their friendship. It still annoyed me and made me feel sorry for Layla when he went off with Danika and forgot her. I do think Zayne likes her like she likes Roth but he can't have her because her kiss will kill him which is sad but I do ship Roth and Layla more than Zayne and Layla.

Then it all comes to the point where Petr tries to kill Layla. I could see why he tried to kill her after the fight and his reasons to want to kill her but whilst the fight was happening it wasn't too clear to me. I was shocked yet not too surprised when she did this but I was glad she did UNTIL WE FIND OUT THAT ELIJAH IS HER FATHER AND PETR IS HER BROTHER. But first we need to talk about Roth and Bambi when they came to save her. Bambi is the most awesome book animal character thing I have ever read and when Petr threw Bambi I almost cried because she is such an awesome character.

So we find out that Layla is the daughter of Lilith which isn't such a big thing because this is the first time we hear about Lilith but the bigger thing is that she could raise the Lilin which was kind of crazy being able to raise an army of crazy nasties.

The big BIG thing was that Elijah was her father. It seems plausible that he could be but it was unlikely. It wouldn't have been as shocking if he hadn't run away or got his son (her half brother) to kill her.

So Roth and Layla have to get their hands on The Lesser Key of Solomon so that it doesn't go into the wrong hands and so they go to get it from the DC memorial which was really funny to read about in this way because it is such an iconic place and the idea of it having these tunnels under it was really funny. They do end up getting the book but then they get caught by some wardens including Zayne and Abbot. I really was worried that Roth would think that Layla betrayed him and even though he did think that he didn't think it too much which was good for me.

After this there was that period where Roth didn't come to school and it was more focused on the relationship between Stacy and Sam at school. I really like Stacy and Sam and I do hope that Jennifer L Armentrout does something with their characters as well as developing their relationship because I really like them.

They finally end up trusting Roth after he went to help Zayne after he and Layla went to get ice cream and I thought that was a really sweet gesture since they were out to kill him not too long ago. They catch Layla, Zayne and Roth and take them to the school gymnasium and THIS SCENE KILLED ME.

They overcome Caym and his little minion thing (I can't remember his name oh well) and they're about the send Caym to the fiery pits but he won't stay down SO ROTH SACRIFICES HIMSELF FOR THE SAFETY AND OHHHHHHH :((((((((

The ending of this book made me very sad but I knew that it couldn't end this way which made me even more excited to read the sequel and I have good hopes for it because at the end of White Hot Kiss it says that she feels his presence and that there is hope that he is alive because he was the Boss' favourite prince so far.

Overall I really liked this book and I gave it a 5/5 stars and I am super excited for the second book!

I hope you enjoyed this booktalk and I'll see you again next week!

Happy Reading!
Lily x


You May Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts