Booktalk: The Young Elites by Marie Lu

Booktalk: The Young Elites by Marie Lu


Title: The Young Elites
Author: Marie Lu 
Publishers: G.P. Putnam’s Sons Books for Young Readers
Page Count: 355


Goodreads Synopsis:

I am tired of being used, hurt, and cast aside.

Adelina Amouteru is a survivor of the blood fever. A decade ago, the deadly illness swept through her nation. Most of the infected perished, while many of the children who survived were left with strange markings. Adelina’s black hair turned silver, her lashes went pale, and now she has only a jagged scar where her left eye once was. Her cruel father believes she is a malfetto, an abomination, ruining their family’s good name and standing in the way of their fortune. But some of the fever’s survivors are rumored to possess more than just scars—they are believed to have mysterious and powerful gifts, and though their identities remain secret, they have come to be called the Young Elites.

Teren Santoro works for the king. As Leader of the Inquisition Axis, it is his job to seek out the Young Elites, to destroy them before they destroy the nation. He believes the Young Elites to be dangerous and vengeful, but it’s Teren who may possess the darkest secret of all. 

Enzo Valenciano is a member of the Dagger Society. This secret sect of Young Elites seeks out others like them before the Inquisition Axis can. But when the Daggers find Adelina, they discover someone with powers like they’ve never seen. 

Adelina wants to believe Enzo is on her side, and that Teren is the true enemy. But the lives of these three will collide in unexpected ways, as each fights a very different and personal battle. But of one thing they are all certain: Adelina has abilities that shouldn’t belong in this world. A vengeful blackness in her heart. And a desire to destroy all who dare to cross her.

It is my turn to use. My turn to hurt.


I really liked The Young Elites, I did not see why there was much hate for this book because I was constantly interested and engaged by the story even when the action wasn't happening. I really liked the powers that were in this book and towards the end of the book I loved the relationship in this book even though the ending was painful...

WARNING this review is full of spoilers.

The book starts with Adelina hearing her father talking to someone who is willing to buy her from him as a mistress and I really liked the start of this book because the events that follow really show you where the book will go.

I liked how we learnt about her father and Malfettos at the start of the book as well as all the way through the book in flashbacks. When her father died due to her powers I was so pumped for the rest of the book because she has such cool powers and I remember reading this part on the bus and just getting to school and having to stop reading and it just made me really sad.

Then we learn that this was all a flashback and she is actually about to go to her execution but she ends up being saved by the Young Elites.

I did not expect from the start of the book that Adelina would end up with Enzo at the end of the book because of Raffaele and how close they were and also he didn't show much interest in her until about page 200 but when he did it was so cute and I really loved them together and I really wanted them to stay together.

When she was at the execution I knew that Teren would be an issue so when he contacted her and asked her for information in exchange for Violetta then I was not surprised. I thought that she should have told Enzo or Raffaele because they wouldn't be too mad at her then but she didn't so... I think we all know how that went.

Adelina gets Violetta out and then we find out that Violetta is a Malfetto which I was excited about but it made me like her character less because she was the favourite of her father even though she was a malfetto and let Adelina suffer and not both of them fairly.

Enzo starts to train her and she finally gets invited onto one of their missions which goes really well until Teren attacks her and it all goes bad but the more important part is when they capture Raffaele and Enzo challenged Teren when it all goes crazy. 

I thought that the book would not end with the defeat of Teren because that would not be easy to carry on from in the next books but I did not expect Enzo to die and I especially did not expect Adelina to do it. I know it was not her fault but I was so sad by this ending and also how they cast her out of the Young Elites but I think that she will create her own Young Elites in the next books but I liked them all together.

In the epilogue we meet the lady who can bring back people from the dead and this was such a good way to end the book because we think that she may be able to bring Enzo back even though it said they do not come back the same but it makes us excited for the next book which I certainly am.

I really enjoyed The Young Elites and I am super excited for the next book of this series and I hope you do too if you decide to pick it up.

Happy Reading!

Lily x


You May Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts