Review: Atlantis Rising by Gloria Craw

Title: Atlantis Rising
Author: Gloria Craw
Publishers: Entangled Teen
Page Count: 352

Goodreads Synopsis:

I am different. I have always been different, but no one can know or my life will be in danger. So I hide in plain sight, wearing drab clothes and thick glasses and trying to be invisible. I’m so good at hiding, no one has ever noticed me. Until Ian…the mysterious and oh-so-cute boy I know I need to avoid.


Now I have been seen. And more terrifying still, I am wanted—by those who would protect me and those who would destroy everything and everyone I love. But if they’re all terrified about who I am, wait until they see what I can do…
Goodreads



I went into this book with low expectations because of all the negative reviews that this book had been given and I did not love this book and I could see what people were annoyed about, but I also found myself enjoying this book.

I know this is a debut novel but there were so many clichés in this book that were quite noticeable. First of all, the first line of the synopsis is 'I am different.' which kind of made me cringe but also it followed a very cliché plot.

An example of this is that the main character's wants to be invisible so what does she do? Wears glasses and pretends to be 'a nerd' which just made me dislike the main character...

I found that most of the characters were a bit dry and unrealistic and I found myself only liking one of the characters (Brandy) just because she was interesting and the others weren't.

As for the love interest in this book, even though the two characters didn't get together straight away you could sense a little insta-love in there and I just didn't see the chemistry there. I didn't see where their relationship would go and it just annoyed me.

Now, despite all of this there were something I enjoyed about the book


I enjoyed the fantasy elements of the plot because it was an original idea and it was exciting to learn about this world and how the powers that these people get are different and finally the plot started moving on and the action and actual point of the book started and I found myself enjoying it some of the time.

I almost DNF'd this book halfway through but I kept going and it wasn't until I actually finished the book that I realised that I wanted more.

It was weird because I could still see that I hated the characters and the relationship but I really wanted to know what was going to happen in the next books!

So even though this book has some faults and some boring parts, it was still a semi enjoyable book.


3/5 stars

That's all for this post! I hope you enjoyed and I'll see you soon!

Happy Reading!

Lily x


Twitter                                                                                                                                      Goodreads




You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. Well, at least it had readablility even if things like cliches are everywhere

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts