Bookish Do's and Don'ts


We all have different things that we love about books but we also have the things we dislike. I am going to share with you some of the things I LOVE in books and some of the things I love...not so much. (Warning, I use the word awesome way too much)



DO: Have an awesome romance

I am a sucker for romance in books and it's one of my favourite things about some of my favourite books! But it's not just any romance, no, it's AWESOME romances. You can have a romance in a book and it can be the focus but I'm not going to enjoy it unless it's realistic, cute and AWESOME!

DON'T: Have Instalove

Remember what I said about the relationship being realistic? Well if a book has instalove then it is SO not realistic. Instalove doesn't just happen and I think the best thing about reading a romance are the parts at the start where it's just beginning and when the characters are realising their feelings because that is awesome, instalove? Not so much.

DO: Have Strong Female Characters

I'm sure everyone loves strong female characters because it's the 21st century and it's time that females are not seen weaker than men.

DON'T: Have Weak Female Characters

Like the point before, it's the 21st century and now female characters should not need a male character to get them out of a rut.

DO: Awesome side characters

YA books nowadays are often sad and action packed so the main characters have to go through all of this which means that sometimes the book can get a bit drab and dull so when you have awesome side characters it can really stop the book from becoming dull and drab!

DON'T: Have unrealistic characters

Unrealistic characters take away from the book because they become annoying! If they're unrealistic it's obvious! The characters make stupid decisions and somehow something goes right or wrong and you're left there thinking...what?

DO: Plot Twists (As long as it makes sense)

I love a good plot twist because it excites me! Plot twists create interest in a book because if it's a good one it changes all of your views and makes you questions everything!

DON'T: Have unnecessary deaths

Please, authors of the world. If you must kill of a characters make it one that is less important to the book and make it justified! Don't kill them just because you can!

DO: Have powers!

If a character has powers that I've never heard of before then I am 28476 times more likely to love the book! Powers are something that no one gets to experience (I think...) so reading about them is so much fun and if the characters powers are new and original then I will find myself excited to learn about them!

DON'T: Have love triangles!

When a book has a love triangle I will more than often ship the main character with one of the two so having someone else getting in the way angers me! For example, all the way through Throne of Glass, the main character is leaning more towards one person in the love triangle and throughout the entire book I was just thinking 'Yeah this is great...but what about the other guy???'

Just spare us the pain and give us one AWESOME love interest please!

DO: Have letters

This one may seem a little bit weird but when books have letters in them I AM IN LOVE! When I see something in a different font on the page and it is a letter to the character then I am super pumped! It makes books more personal and also it's just so cool!

DON'T: Over dramatise things

Almost nothing is more annoying than a character getting worked up, scared or happy about something small and insignificant. May I say once again, UNREALISTIC.

DO: Have pictures!

Again, a little random, but at the moment I am reading Confess by Colleen Hoover and I have just realised the beauty of having pictures in books! It helps picture what's going on in the book whether the picture is art or a map.

DON'T: Have a cliffhanger

Cliffhangers are a readers version of torture! If you have access to the next book in the series then it's not too bad but when you have to wait FOREVER for the next book then it is not okay. Furthermore, if it is a standalone with a cliffhanger...just no please no.

DO: Have an awesome cover

Okay so for my last point I am going to get a little vain. I know authors don't really have a say when their cover gets designed but if a book has a beautiful cover I will probably buy it!


That's all for this post! I hope you enjoyed and I'll see you soon!

Happy Reading!

Lily x


Twitter                                                                                                                                      Goodreads

You May Also Like

4 comments

  1. I definitely agree that a book gets ALL THE BONUS POINTS if the romance is sweet and cute. :) Personally I'm not a fan of instalove in books either, but I do know somebody who fell for this guy the first time they met, and now they've been dating for almost five years. :)

    Cliffhangers actually work for me, because if the ending of a book in a series is tame and/or happy, then I might feel less inclined to read the sequels, haha!

    Aimee @ Deadly Darlings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Romances are such a huge thing for me in books! I'm sure instalove can happen and it's awesome when it does but when it's so unrealistic in book it makes me so mad!
      I tend to continue on with series no matter the ending of any of the book so cliffhanger are the death of me!

      Delete
  2. Aw man! All of those don't are what I totally hate! Glad to know we are on the same page and likes :D

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts